Nutrition Month - Making Small Changes, One Meal At A Time
Take the 100 Meal Journey
Week 1 - Get Ready - Pledge to make a small, nourishing change and stick with it, one meal at a time
- Fill more of your plate with vegetables
- Choose smaller portions of meat and grains
- Enjoy fruit for snacks or desserts rather than sweet or salty treats
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks like pop of specialty coffess
Week 2 - Quality Counts - Jump start your day with a nourishing balance breakfast
- Blend frozen berries, milk and yogurt for a smoothie.
- Grab a few whole wheat crackers as you run out the door
- Stuff a pita with scrambled eggs, red peppers, avocado, and a dash of salsa
- Wrap peanut butter, a banana and trail mix in a whole grain tortilla for a crunchy meal
Week 3 - Prioritize portion size - For a balanced meal, estimate food portions with your hands
- 2 handfuls of vegetables
- 1 handful of grain product
- 1 handful of meat or alternative
- Round off the meal with a glass of milk
- Eat only as much as you are hungry
Week 4 - Try something new - Check out these tips to try something new!! Hello Taste buds, get ready to tingle.
- Toss slivers of raw purple beets, grean pear, feta cheese and flax in a lemony vinigarette for a tasty salad, burstine with color
- Squueze lime juice onto grilled pineapple for a naturally sweet treat
- Warm up apple slices, dust with cinamon, top with toasted rolled oats, almonds and yogurt for a warm breakfast treat
Week 5 - Make it stick - Eating well doesnt need to take a lot of time. Planning helps us to eat healthy on the run.
- Stock your kitchen with good for you snacks, like prepared vegetable, fruit, yogurt and hard boiled eggs
- Cook big bathces of soup, stew or chili when you have more time. Use these meals during busy days
- Cook once. Eat twice. Make more food than you need for one meal and reinvent it for another.